Thursday 23 January 2014

Final cut pro vs Camtasia

Throughout the process of creating trailers , remakes and short films I have been using two  different editing software's to edit my footage. I think its about time to review both editing software's and tell you my opinion on what I like best.

Camtasia 


I think Camtasia is the easiest software to use , its basic and focuses more on animation,  you can use a variety of emotions on the screen and the layout of Camtasia is colourful big and bold and it's clear to see where everything is. One of my favourite things about Camtasia is the screen recording device which final cut pro doesn't have, the screen recording device enables you to create a new type of video where the audience is not only able to see your reaction but in addition see the content your watching.

Here a tutorial I made about the basics of using Camtasia,  ironically I used Camtasia to record and edit this .

This video has no sound it's just visual.

Advantages 
You don't have to convert the footage from the flip cam
Available on other laptops and computers not just apple mac
video recording software
Cheaper on mac's

Disadvantages 
Your limited with the amount of things you can do 
You can't  'in' and 'out' your clip you have to just keeping trimming in timeline
no filters
harder to adjust audio

Final cut pro 

I think final cut pro is the more advanced software, the layout is very scary it looks very technical and there are many tabs and options.  Once you get your head around that, you realise that this editing software has alot to offer and there is so much you can do . One of my favourite things about this software which Camtasia don't have is filters, you can place a filter over the video clip making it look sharper, blurry or fuzzy ect.  

Here is a video explaining the basics of final cut pro


Advantages 
You can unlink the video and audio making it easier to edit
You can create split screens easily 
you can use Filters 
you can use a range of audio and video transitions
software is more popular so there's more online tutorials, tips and tricks for this software

Disadvantages 
Only able to use on apple mac's
Can't use certain video formats 

I prefer final cut pro because I feel like the software gives me more options and more versatility. I like using Camtasia for editing vlogs and short videos but for big projects such as trailers final cut pro is better because it's more advanced .

What do people online say ?


No comments:

Post a Comment